Ingredients for 4 people:
- 3 large aubergines
- 220g Fontina cheese
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 100g Ricotta cheese, crumbled
- 600g homemade tomato sauce*
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Handful of basil leaves
1. Slice the aubergines into 1cm rounds.
2. Heat the grill to medium and place the aubergine slices on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Grill for 3 minutes each side or until golden.
3. Pre-heat the oven to 200°C.
4. To assemble the parmigiana, spread a tablespoon of tomato sauce into the base of a round ovenproof dish (between 25-30cm diameter). Layer one third of the aubergines on top, add half of the Fontina cheese and sprinkle with Parmesan. Repeat the process for two more layers.
5. Top with the remaining tomato sauce and Parmesan, ricotta and basil leaves.
6. Cover the dish with aluminium foil and bake for 20 minutes. Then remove the foil and bake for further 30 minutes.
7. Allow to cool down for 5 minutes before serving.