Ingredients for 8 pavlovas of 10cm diameter each:
- 7 egg whites
- 250g white granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- Vanilla extract
- 300ml whipping cream
- 300ml double cream
- 2 tablespoons white granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons vanilla sugar
- 125g raspberries
- 125g blueberries
- 125g blackberries
- 125g strawberries
1. Pre-heat the oven to 150 °C.
2. Draw circles of around 10cm diameter on two sheets of baking parchment, turn the paper over, and set to one side.
3. Put the egg whites in a large bowl, add the cream of tartar and a pinch of salt and whisk with an electric whisk until they start to form soft peaks.
4. Gradually whisk in the sugar, a tablespoon at a time, whisking for 10 seconds between each spoon. At this stage, the meringue should look quite stiff and glossy, with no sugar grains. Finally, add a few drops of vanilla extract.
5. Spoon the meringue in the circles drawn.
6. Reduce the temperature of the oven to 120 °C and bake the meringues for 60 minutes.
7. Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool down completely inside the oven. This should take about an hour.
8. Pour the whipping and double cream into a large bowl and whip with an electric mixer. When it starts to thicken, add the granulated sugar and the vanilla sugar. Be careful not to overbeat the cream!
9. Pour the cream on top of the meringues and top with the fresh berries. Serve immediately.