For the cake:
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175g butter (room temperature)
- 175g golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- Grated zest of 3 lemons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 40g poppy seeds
For the syrup:
- Juice of 3 lemons
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 120g golden granulated sugar
For this cake I used the standard 2lb loaf tin but the recipe of the book recommends a 20cm loose-based round cake tin.
1. Pre-heat the oven to 170 °C. Grease the tin and add a pinch of flour, keep aside.
2. Sift the flour and the baking powder into a mixing bowl.
3. Add the butter, sugar, eggs, lemon zest, lemon juice and poppy seeds. Using an electric whisk, mix until obtaining a creamy consistency (1-2 minutes).
4. Pour the mixture into the tin and level it.
5. Bake for around 40 minutes or until the centre feels spongy.
6. Just a few minutes before the cake is ready, mix the syrup ingredients and bring to a boil. Keep it aside to cool down slightly.
7. Remove the tin from the oven to a board and stab the cake all over with a skewer.
8. Spoon the syrup evenly over the hot cake.
9. Allow the cake to cool down inside the tin and remove when cooled completely.
This fragrant and moist cake is inspired by a recipe of Delia’s cakes